Main technical features
The distribution of the reactor core and its related control and safety systems are based on the following design criteria:
- Upward cooling flow.
- Free access to the top of the reactor pool while the reactor is in full operation.
- Easy access to the reactor core from the top of the pool.
- Control and safety rods located under the reactor tank.
- The reactor emergency stop consists of two different and independent systems: control and safety rods and a gadolinium injection.
- The core cooling system during shutdown operates by natural circulation of the pool water through the core.
- The water injection system protects the reactor in case of loss of coolant.